The original log cabin on this location was built after 1701 when John Pidcock settled on the site. The oldest part of the current Thompson-Neely House is the middle, built about 1740 by John Simpson. In 1757 Robert Thompson, husband of the widow of John Simpson, added the new wing on the western end of the house and a second story to the original structure. During the winter of 1776-1777 the enlarged house was the headquarters of General William Alexander (Lord Sterling), and after the battle the house was used as a hospital. Two notable soldiers who stayed there to recover included Lt. James Monroe, the future president, and Captain William A. Washington, the nephew of the commander of the colonial army and future president.
Captain James Moore died there from his wounds and he is buried on the property with at least 13 and possibly as many as 40 others. There is some question about the claim that the final strategy session for the Trenton battle happened in the house. It seems the final dinner setting the plans were at either at the HQ of General Greene, the Merrick House, or at Washington’s headquarters, the Keith House. Both of these are in Upper Makefield Township. The Thompson-Neely house today is part of Washington Crossing State Park.