Public education came to Pennsylvania in 1834. Before that time religious groups and parents took responsibility for the education of the children. There were at least 21 buildings in Solebury and New Hope that were used as schools both before and after 1834. By 1937 the number of students had increased sufficiently and with transportation now available the small elementary schools were consolidated into one school, the Solebury Elementary School on North Sugan Road. Two of the original 21 buildings were demolished. One of the buildings is now the headquarters of the Society and is open to visitors for those who want to see what a one-room schoolhouse looked like. Most of the rest are used as private residences. This map shows the location of all 21.