Cintra, located on Bridge Street in New Hope, was built about 1816 by William Maris who also built a cotton mill on the Aquetong Creek near Mt. Moriah Church and the Delaware House on the corner of Bridge and Main streets in New Hope. The house was later the home of Ruth Paxson Ely. Henry Lee worked there for many years as a servant. Henry was a fugitive who arrived in the area in the 1830s. He first appeared in the US Census in 1840. He did not admit to his true birthplace of Maryland until 1840. He worked for many local families and as the town crier. In his later years he lived in the Delaware House hotel and was buried in Mount Moriah Cemetery.
Save the Date!
Thanks To Our Sponsors, Please Support Them!
2017 Annual Picnic
August 27, 4-7pm. Click for details.
Help STHS preserve our history. Click on the Donate button below.
Share This Page
Stay in Touch!