The original Paxson estate covered a large amount of land north of Bridge Street in New Hope. The first home is known as Northwood Farms. A second home on the property was built about 1760 and named Maple Grove. This property was the headquarters of General William Alexander (Lord Sterling) for three weeks before the Battle of Trenton in 1776. The troops were headquartered at the Old Fort across the road. Troops were also stationed in the area in 1778 before the battle of Monmouth Courthouse. During one of these troop passages, the Paxsons hosted George and Martha Washington at the house.
Save the Date!
Thanks To Our Sponsors, Please Support Them!
Michener Art Museum & STHS Joint Program at the Schoolhouse!
2017 Annual Picnic
August 27, 4-7pm. Click for details.
Help STHS preserve our history. Click on the Donate button below.
Share This Page
Stay in Touch!