Washington Crossing Historic Park is composed of 500 acres, 100 acres of which are the park’s northern section, part of which is in Solebury Township on River Road near Aquetong Road. In December of 1776 the Continental Army was stationed at the area of the upper part awaiting orders from General Washington. On Christmas they marched to McConkey’s Ferry, now called Washington Crossing, to cross the Delaware River in preparation for the march to Trenton. The upper park contains the Thompson-Neely house, which was used as a military hospital, the graves of a least 50 soldiers, and a grist mill. A section of the park has been set aside as Bowman’s Hill Wildflower Preserve. The park was named a National Historic Landmark in 1961 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966.
Save the Date!
Thanks To Our Sponsors, Please Support Them!
Michener Art Museum & STHS Joint Program at the Schoolhouse!
2017 Annual Picnic
August 27, 4-7pm. Click for details.
Help STHS preserve our history. Click on the Donate button below.
Share This Page
Stay in Touch!