In the mid-1930s the farming families along the Honey Hollow Creek realized that much of the topsoil on their farms was being washed away by the creek. They banded together and consulted with the US Government Soil Conservation Service, which produced a plan to save the farms in the watershed. The Honey Hollow Watershed Conservation Area, located in the vicinity of Upper York, Creamery, and Meetinghouse roads, was created in 1939 and was the first agricultural area in a small watershed to show the benefits of soil, water, and wildlife conservation. The approximately 650-acre Honey Hollow Watershed is the only agricultural landmark in the United States. It was named a National Historic Landmark in 1969.
Save the Date!
Thanks To Our Sponsors, Please Support Them!
Michener Art Museum & STHS Joint Program at the Schoolhouse!
2017 Annual Picnic
August 27, 4-7pm. Click for details.
Help STHS preserve our history. Click on the Donate button below.
Share This Page
Stay in Touch!